[RE-wrenches] More Summer cooling

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 16:46:00 PDT 2008

HI everyone
In minnesota about 1/2 of the cooling load is dehumidification.  and yes people who tried earth tubes had problems with mold.  If you have a diurnal cycle that can cool, then a much smaller dehumidification cycle can keep the air fresh.  In Minnesota some years the day dew point can be as high as 77 degrees, and if you have night cooled mass at 65 degrees, a build up of moisture can occur.

Thermal absorption and adsorbtion both have been studied, however the low COP of thermal Absorption leads me to believe that PV is actually cheaper.  Thermal Adsorbtion (dehumidifuication ) has still promise but remains complex.  Large building frequently use enthalpy controland recovery, decicant drying and