[RE-wrenches] offgrid system question

Aaron Wellendorf Aaron at stellarenergy.com
Tue Aug 19 10:45:52 PDT 2008

The issue is certainly the undersized single inverter. I had an on-grid
customer who wanted to be completely self sufficient. His array could
supply his annual load and generate enough to recharge his GM EV1 car.
The only issue was that his 3 ton air conditioner would not reliably
start on his dual SW4048 inverter system. We got it to start about 1 out
10 times, but the other 9 times would shutdown the system on overload.
The 3 ton unit used 84A to start and the dual 4048s were rated at 78A
max. Running amps was about 18A. We had a professional drives and
controls company come out and install a soft-starter on the A/C
compressor and pamper it for a couple hours. The soft starter was not
just a capacitor. The unit actually limited the current into the load.
The current would ramp up and the compressor would start at 84A. No
matter how fast or slow the ramp up speed or applied voltage. It seemed
that locked rotor amps was truly locked rotor amps. The rotor remained
locked until the rated amps on the label plate was reached.

The drives and controls company rep said that most of the time soft
start controls don't work on single phase motor loads. They do work most
of the time on 3 phase loads, but the effectiveness depends on the type
of 3 phase motor. The drives and controls company graciously donated
their time as an experiment and we all learned a lesson.

I was told by several A/C companies that the SEER rating doesn't make
any difference in the starting amps or the efficiency of the motor, only
the compressor/evaporator cycle is more efficient. They also said that
scroll type compressors tend to have slightly lower starting amp
requirement than piston type compressors.

My next customer who had paid extra to install an oversized 5 ton A/C
unit (to be sure to cool the house down fast) then found that bringing
in utility power was too expensive so he lived off-grid on a generator.
That 5 ton unit had a LRA of 129A. It really made his 10kW generator
groan getting it started, so he didn't use any A/C. After I put in his
dual SW5048 battery system, he paid to have an A/C company replace the 5
ton unit with two 1.5 ton compressors in parallel that were set up to
start at different times. The dual SW5048's had no problem starting and
running the two units with offset start times. The customer found that
he only needed one 1.5 ton unit to cool the house adequately so he
pulled the fuses from one of the compressors. He lives comfortably off
grid in a relatively hot summer climate on 2880W of dual-axis tracking
PV, with only minor generator run time in the winter.

Aaron Wellendorf

Stellar Energy Solutions