[RE-wrenches] ice accumulation

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Sun Aug 17 05:18:29 PDT 2008

Hi again, Darryl, Mark, Ron, et al,

>From what I remember about ice accumulation there has to be a precipitation
site. Usually some pointy thing. Probably no shortage of those on the frames
of the modules I am familiar with. Once you start accumulating the game is
over, the trick is to not start. What might be worth investigating is if the
manufacturer would consider using the angle on the back of the PV board
rather than wrapping the frame around the front (and providing a little step
to hinder any liquid runoff from the panel face, provide a precipitation
site, or God knows what else in the freeze conditions scenario. Still need
screwheads on the panel face to anchor the frame, but as one famous
aerodynamacist once said, it needs to _look_ like it will fly fast.

I have a hard time believing that some panel manufacturer or academician
hasn't done some applicable pure and/or applied research into this area.

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar