[RE-wrenches] Surrette Battery Question

robert ellison reellison at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 21:26:21 PDT 2008

Still using a standard type charger, 3 ph, 480 volt
They start at 100 amp and go down from there.

We replaced a high frequency charger that was no longer doing the job with a
standard charger at one site. The hi freq would start at 110 amp and run for
a while then remove the surface charge and readjust for the changed
readings. It just never seemed to get the battery charged the way it needed
to be done. (The way we do it) An Eq charge will hold at the what is the top
voltage for 3 - 5 hours, but nowhere near what we use for an EQ voltage.
These cells are in a 4 x 5 layout in each pack and I have found a 25 degree
difference from the outer cells to the inner cells. There is no such thing
available as temp compensation in any of these chargers.
The Hi freq chargers have no transformers and a real hi frequency noise when
running. Nothing like 3 stages or anything like that.

Good night,
Bob