Remote Metering / Data - Logging [RE-wrenches]

Carl Emerson, Free Power Ltd. freepower at freepower.co.nz
Wed Jul 9 13:03:24 PDT 2008

Hi Walt

If cell coverage is available, Fatspaniel will do this.

See http://view2.fatspaniel.net/Vodafone/HostedAdminView.html?&eid=103633

This is a fully monitored remote cell site with wind and solar that we have
just installed in New Zealand.

Carl Emerson
Freepower Ltd.
Auckland NZ

==================================

Hello all,

 I am interested in what current products you recommend for metering and
data logging for remote projects.

Our projects are all in quite difficult places to get to, in developing
world countries.

Quite understandably, the biggest problems we encounter relate to the early
demise of the battery banks.  But, without good monitoring, it becomes a
guessing game as to the core reason.  Generally, the reasons, in order of
likelihood are (a) facility using more load than agreed to, (b) generator
not being run long enough on hybrid systems, or something broken on the
generator that we don't find out about, and (c) faults in the PV / charge
controller system.

Our metering will need to allow us to differentiate between these causes.

 The typical Bogart meter does not really accomplish everything.  On our
Outback systems, we will be installing the new Flex Net, but as I have yet
to work on one, I am not sure if this will do everything.  (particularly -
can we set it up to give us AC kwhr usage?)

Most of our locations are NOT connected to the internet, but some are, and
some have cell phone access.  But, we would need decent data logging / dump
to laptop capabilities since this will be the main default case.

Thanks for any suggestions or leads.

Walt Ratterman

SunEnergy Power International

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com