Kyocera [RE-wrenches]

Greg Seelhorst greg_s at sonic.net
Thu Jun 19 08:20:25 PDT 2008

We installed 3 systems of 24ea KC-120s in 2001-2002 and one had problems.
The one which had problems, 8 panels were below their power rating within 2
years and Kyocera replaced the entire system after a bit of squeaky wheeling
and dealing to get them to change the entire array.

I have attached a comment from one of Kyocera's engineers, Steve Allen,
explaining the reason for the panel problems from 2000-2002. They may be
hesitant to let you know this, but if you just Google "KC120, problem" you
will find a bad history with this line of modules.

Regards,

Greg Seelhorst
Installation Manager
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer®
Solar Works
400 Morris Street, Suite C
Sebastopol, CA 95472
707-829-2518 (work)
707-849-6819 (cell)
707-829-8283 (fax)
CA Solar License (C-46) #878231

On 1/9/08 1:31 PM, "Allen, Steve" <Steve.Allen at kyocera.com> wrote:

> Hello Greg,
>
> As Amie says below the problem KC120-1 modules have been isolated as those
> produced in the 2000 through 2002 period. It looks like you have some produced
> in 12-2003 (03Z). In any case the problem with the 2000-to 2002's were
> defective solder bonds at the buss ribbons and cell interconnects. These
> defects do not cause ground faults.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Steve Allen

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com