SHW with dual-coil tanks [RE-wrenches]

Karl Schwingel karl at northwindrenewable.com
Sat Jun 14 13:30:08 PDT 2008

I've used single tank options when either the water use is very low or
sporadic. The only time I'd use a single tank system is when space is an
issue.  I have an 80 gallon single tank system at my house.  That's all we
had room for and there are only 2 of us here.    We turned off the element
in late april, and haven't had a shortage of hot water since, even with all
the rain (in WI)  enough storage for 2 days at least.

There is definitely a loss of efficiency, as the sides of the steel tank
conduct heat downwards, for the appropriate use, I'd have no problem with
using a single tank system, either boiler or electric.  But know that some
of the boiler tanks still have the aquastat lower than the top coil, which
is fine, but it's lower than the thermostat in a single tank electric, which
means that it'll keep a larger proportion of the tank hot with the boiler.

One customer (96 sf panel, facing SSE) and 120 gallon 1 tank system hooked
to a munchkin contender, has a switch hooked to the aquastat in the
bathroom, and only turns it on when there's company, or in the winter.  It
enables an easy way to make sure that the heater only works when they're
running low on hot water.  The boiler's capacity means a short recharge
time.

I like internal coils because they don't lime up with the extremely hard
water in part of our service area.  As the coils expand and contract, they
shed any lime that's built up. Only one pump, and high efficiency.

For smaller system, internal coils make all the sense in the world.  Our
standard is an 80 gal SS with internal double wall HX from HT products.
Lifetime warranty.  Everything else will last for 20 + years, why put in a 7
year tank.

Karl Schwingel
Nabcep Certified Solar Thermal Installer
NorthWind Renewable Energy
Karl at northwindrenewable.com
PO box 723
Stevens Point Wi. 54481
C: 715 209 0446
F:7 15 952 4501

Solar thermal, solar PV and wind system design and installation
--

This e-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named
recipient(s) above, and may contain information that is privileged or exempt