690.47 (was Enphase) [RE-wrenches]

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Sat Jun 14 08:38:32 PDT 2008

Ray,

Thanks for giving me some insight into the content of the handbook which I
have not bought.

I see a triangle here with the three vertex being: 1 - the array, 2 - the
exisiting premise AC system electrode which is functionally also the DC
system electrode, and 3 - the new additional "electrodes for array
grounding".

Now, how do I connect the dots?  1 to 2 with the new combined EGC and GEC as
usual. Add 1 to 3 with a new EGC. OK so far.  The only problem comes if I
also try to connect 2 to 3 directly.

I think it is pretty clear to most folks you don't want to make that last
connection.  What I do know is that when the Code was being drafted, there
was specific language stating that the new additional GE need not be bonded
directly to the exisitng GE system.  That language did not make it into the
Code version.  So if we are not careful, 250.50 "...all electrodes...shall
be bonded together.." could be applied.

Can we take it that the new additional GE is bonded to exisitng GE system,
but this is accomplished by the EGC/GEC connection from 1 to 2?

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
271 Vistamont Dr
Grass Valley CA 95945