Prius as UPS [RE-wrenches]

Carl Adams swingjunkie at gmail.com
Thu May 29 16:43:55 PDT 2008

Sorry for my previous blank post .  REverted this one to plain text.
Thanks to Joel Davidson for spotting my mistake.

Hello,

I recently installed a 5 kW direct grid tie system for a residential
customer.  The customer is interested in adding a battery backup for
critical loads.  We installed the SMA 5000US for our inverter and so
one option is the Sunny Island with a conventional backup battery
bank.  The customer is intrigued by the idea of using his Prius as the
battery bank.  He pointed me to this web site.  http://priups.com/  Is
anyone aware of other crafty Prius owners who have looked into this or
similar options.  Since Prius just hit the million units sold and
there may be some overlap with the the PV market and Prius market it
may be worth considering. Thoughts, comments, data?

With Regards
Carl Adams