Inverter meter reliability [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Wed May 28 10:27:49 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Ian,

Actually the randomness I was talking about is in the manufacturing
process.  Any measuring instrument built in quantities will exhibit
unit-by-unit variances in accuracy, due to component tolerances.  As one
might expect the manus see to it that this variance has a bias in their
favor.  Usually once a given unit is manufactured, its particular degree of
inaccuracy will likely stay fairly stable and repeatable over time.  There
may be some temperature-dependent inaccuracies remaining, though.

What I don't understand is, that it's a fairly straightforward matter
adding almost nothing to the design and manufacturing cost of any modern
inverter, to correct or at least improve on this in firmware using
calibration coefficients.  Measurement errors are readily determined during
final production test, and correction factors permanently stored in
non-volatile memory, inaccessible to anyone in the field.  In fact, I'd bet
that most or all of them are already doing this, they just aren't doing it
to a very tight spec, apparently.

I would be curious to hear the various manus explain the current situation
as observed by others here.  I do mostly off-grid and don't have a lot
observations of my own about grid tie metering inaccuracies, but I'm not
the least bit surprised by what I'm hearing.

John Raynes
RE Solar

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php