Alkaline battery opinions wanted [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Tue May 27 05:00:04 PDT 2008

I was going to make the same list that Warren made but he beat me to it.
IMHO, these are pretty significant disadvantages and that any one of them
essentially disqualifies them use in Solar and Wind energy systems.  I
suppose if you have a year round hydro site then you could make the argument
that the low charge efficiency and high self discharge does not matter.

One correction I would like to respectively offer.  In "general" terms NiFe
and NiCd are about 2x's more energy dense then PB.  Factor in that they can
be discharged to essentially 0 % with little affect on cycle life and you
have a battery bank that's nearly 1/4 the weight when compared to PB of the
same energy.  Footprint (or volumetric displacement) would also be much
smaller but not the full 1/4 since lead is denser (right?) then nickel, iron
and cadmium.

Best,
Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services