Hoar Frost [RE-wrenches]

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Mon May 19 18:47:08 PDT 2008

I have a wild idea. Wild enough that I don't wanted any to try it until we
get a thorough discussion.

What about short circuiting the PV strings? By definition none of the power
can be transmitted to the inverter. I don't have the electrical modeling
experience to calculate the power self-dissipated in the modules under SC
conditions. If it is enough, though, perhaps a SC cycle for a few minutes a
day would remove the hoar frost in the AM. It is an AM problem isn't it?

It might cost some $ to install shunt switches and control electronics to
create the necessary SC when needed, though.

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com