point of connection [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 6 08:18:09 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Hello Dick,

Thank you very much for summarizing the point of connection discussion. I
couldn't help but smile at your introductory paragraph. Many wrenches,
including me, buy a handbook every few years. The color pictures sort of
remind me of an illustrated "How Things Work."

You forgot to include the ten inspectors that are also interpreting the Code
in ten different ways. The image that comes to my mind is a medieval town
with craftsmen building the city hall. The master craftsman tells his
apprentices WHAT to do and HOW to do it. That evening at the Guild Hall over
drinks, the day's work is discussed and on Sunday, the priest discusses WHY
things are done a certain way.

There will always be craftsmen who try new ways to do things even in the
face of punishment for heresy. And there will always be priests who use
their power for personal gain. And there will be workers as described this
supposedly true story about W.C. Fields on his deathbed. All is friends were
in the parlor on death watch. One friends stuck his head in W.C.'s bedroom
door to see how he was doing. W.C. lay there with a bible on his lap. His
friend was amazed that the irreligious W.C. had finally found religion and
asked, "What do you hope to find?" "Loopholes."

Joel Davidson