Drawing Tools [RE-wrenches]

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Fri May 2 13:49:41 PDT 2008

Carl Adams wrote:

Carl's email didn't show up on the web version of this list but the
question had to do with what drawing programs were out there.

A program that I have been using lately on XP (there are other platform
formats too) is called Inkscape.    www.inkscape.org

I am used to Corel Draw and this program is very similar and is very
capable.  .PDF reading/writing is also included.  Best of all, this
program is FREE.  It is a vector based program that will also
import/export bitmaps.  For bitmap editing (also free and open sourcee)
may I suggest Gimp  (www.gimp.org)

Here's a quick info about Inkscape:

An Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to
Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable
Vector Graphics (SVG) file format.

Inkscape supports many advanced SVG features (markers, clones, alpha
blending, etc.) and great care is taken in designing a streamlined
interface. It is very easy to edit nodes, perform complex path
operations, trace bitmaps and much more. We also aim to maintain a
thriving user and developer community by using open, community-oriented
development.

boB Gudgel K7IQ
MidNite/Magnum  Solar/Energy
Washington AC