Battery Bank Venting [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 11:20:45 PDT 2008

Hi Larry
Yes I have been/seen case of thermal runaway, one case
the sun comming in a window, on 4 parallel strings,
the one with sunlight on overheated, started on fire.
What I believe happened is the warm batteries were
charging and overheated, because all the charge was
being taken by this battery, and the higher
temperature caused the other batteries to discharge
into the hot batteries amaking them hotter.
The second case was not as obvious, so my
understanding is less, but I believe the same senerio
of hot battery getting extra discharge is the cause.

I also have the case of a flooded lead acid (antomony)
that was four  strings in parallel, the whole bank
charging at C/10 and one battery in on of the strings
melted and caught fire.

Darryl

--- "Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar"
<larry at starlightsolar.com> wrote:

> Darryl,
>
> 99% of the work we do is battery based. I have been
> installing AGM batteries (Deka, Lifeline, Concorde,
> Sun Xtender, Optima) for many years. I'm curious why
> you warn against parallel strings and thermal
> runaway? Have you experienced any of problems?
>
> Out of hundreds of batteries installed, I have never
> had a case of thermal runaway. If fact, AGM's in
> general have been the most reliable batteries we
> have sold. There seems to be no limit to the charge
> current these batteries can handle. Do you have any
> actual experience of "excessive charge rate frying
> AGM's"?
>
> I have had only two batteries that have vented. Both
> had a defective cell as measured by resting voltage.
> Some of our customers severely abuse small 12 volt
> banks of 2 or 3 series/parallel strings of 6 volt
> Lifelines. After 8 to 10 hours of equalization at
> 15.5 volts, these banks returned to nearly full
> capacity and are still in use. Also, I have been
> buying batteries for the last year and many 4D and
> 8D AGM's have come in. Most of these are at 10 volts
> or less when they arrive. I can restore about 80% of
> these and have been reselling them as good used
> batteries.
>
> Richard, from my experience with AGM's I would not
> hesitate to install the bank in the location you
> have described.
> Larry Crutcher

=== message truncated ===

Be a better friend, newshound, and