disconnect requirements [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 21 11:54:40 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Hello Phil,

Southern California Edison (SCE) has never required a residential disconnect
switch.

"Put simply, the utility-accessible EDS (External Disconnect Switch) is
increasingly viewed as redundant and unnecessary for residential and
small-commercial PV systems with UL-listed inverters. Eight state PUCs
(i.e., Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New
Hampshire, and Utah) have reached this conclusion and eliminated their EDS
requirements for systems that meet criteria, and nine state PUCs have
decided to leave the EDS decision up to individual utilities. In the states
with utility choice, at least five utilities have eliminated the EDS
requirement. These states and utilities accounted for more than 80% of total
installed PV capacity in the United States in 2006." Evaluating the
Rationale for the Utility-Accessible External Disconnect Switch
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy08osti/42675.pdf

Joel Davidson