XW [RE-wrenches]

Ken Schaal ken at commonwealthsolar.com
Fri Apr 11 20:31:19 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

CommonWealth Solar  now has several months experience with an XW 4860
package with generator control ( Kohler 6.5 ), replacing a Y2K Trace dual SW
4048 Power Panel. ---see our post fron 2/7/08 for details.

Xantrex resolved the glitch with the ' grid reconnection under generator
input' and we have tested, for several days, a simulated grid outage, with
flawless performance, including grid reconnect while generator was supplying
house loads and charging battery.
Thanks to Charles in Tech support and the engineers that refined  the
software.

A second system is set to go in, and  third and forth XW systems are not far
behind, assuming the economy doesn't go into free fall !

Regarding sealed batteries---- with the excellent generator control with the
XW, and the enlarged, now 5 KW, half on a Wattsun tracker, PV array, we
decided to use 4 -250 amp.hr AGM's from Deka East Penn. Probably should have
used Gels, on second thought-----Working well, even when powering a small
ground source heat pump in 30-40* weather ( nites). Generator run times
quite reasonable.
So the new Surrettes are interesting.

My thoughts concerning Solar City are in the comments section. but William
stole my thunder-- no one will put 30K + on your roof without a second
mortgage !
And when you can't pay your first or second mortgage, because you haven't
done your homework (an energy audit) or your energy conservation,SHW,
shading, window insulation, etc. then the real profit emerges. Shame on
Morgan Stanley for backing this scheme-- Did we expect better?

Ken