external chargers for Outback [RE-wrenches]

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Fri Apr 4 12:03:53 PDT 2008

Mendocino Solar Service wrote:

"Is there any (battery charger) out there that can
deliver around 100 amps DC with reasonable efficiency and reliability?"

Mick says: If you do not require American land based certifications,
check out www.victronenergy.com  I have found these marine grade
chargers to be reliable and efficient. I have not measured "energy in"
versus "energy out" to calculate efficiency but they seem to not throw
off a lot of heat.

Victron has a 100 amp, 24 volt charger in their Centaur line and in
their Skylla line. Skylla is more sophisticated but requires 240 volt AC
for full power--that's usually not a problem if there's a generator
involved. Centaur will run off 120 or 240 AC.

You didn't mention a wish for "low price". That's good because: the
Skylla 100/24 would carry an MSRP around $2535; Centaur is about 8.5%
cheaper.

I am a Victron distributor so you could contact me off list if you would
like a quote for resale purposes.

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
Abraham Solar Equipment
Pagosa Springs, CO