wire sizing programs [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Sun Mar 30 14:42:54 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Hi Jay;

I've got a complicated one on my website that works pretty well.
It has cost analysis too to compare cost of power lost in wire vs.
adding PV cost. You'll have to update the wire costs for each size, I
tried to tie wire cost to cost of copper/ lb. I had it tweaked back 3
years ago, but the massive change in copper has made it to hard for
that part to work. High copper cost make this cost comparison more
important today though.
I also have based all the calculations on the NEC, including the
temperature compensation. (except Electric Vehicle stuff)
Note there are 2 temp compensations possible, one for ambient (air)
temp, and one for wire temp.
No promise: but it delivers good results, if everything is set right.
You may just want to hide a lot of the rows of stuff you don't need.
I modified a version for my Palm, that shows just volt drop and a
couple other things only.
http://www.solarray.com/TechGuides/TGmain_T.php and click on the
Advanced Wire Sizer XLS on the right column.
Have Fun, let me know if you have any suggestions.

Ray Walters

On Mar 30, 2008, at 2:09 PM, Jay Peltz, Peltz Power wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Wondering what folks are using for a computer based wire sizing
> program.
>
> I've used the electricalc, but am looking for something on a computer.
>
> thanks
>
> jay
>
> peltz power
>

> - - - -