PV system permitting [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Fri Mar 21 14:36:32 PDT 2008

Kelly,
In New Mexico we must distinguish between cities, urban counties, and
the rest of the state. The state is the easiest, as permitting is online
with a $27 basic fee. State AHJs have territories, and after awhile they
know our work and are generally pretty easy to work with.

Urban counties and cities get quickly into jurisdictional issues; each
has its own rules. In Santa Fe, for instance, the inspectors are good
but permits can only be obtained in person at City Hall. Other
jurisdictions are similar, with the need to determine if a project is
inside or outside of each incorporated town's limits, and permits
generally require in-person trips.

PV systems generally fall outside of any particular permitting category,
so "other" generally applies with only basic fees. We call for
inspection only upon completion of our work. In one local jurisdiction,
we also include "pre-final" on GT systems, which isn't another
inspection, but rather triggers the city to inform the utility that the
system is ready for them to install the REC meter.

In short, it's quite a job to know each local set of rules. Much depends
on the inspector: some will call us with questions (best); some won't
get the directions we give their offices and then want to charge a
reinspection fee when they can't get in because they came on the wrong
day, or didn't know the system was entirely outside (worst).

Hope this helps...

Allan at PosE