Misleading fault indications [RE-wrenches]

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Wed Mar 5 10:53:28 PST 2008

If the impedance from PV- or PV+ to GND is REALLY low, I would think the
chance of heating and starting a fire would be very low.  If the
resistance to GND is just enough for high dissipation, then you should
worry.  I like the idea of detecting when the electrons guzinta does not
equal the electrons guzouta, like in the more expensive GND Fault
detection method.

boB

R. Walters wrote:

> Thanks John, I was wondering if there had been some "event" to prompt
> this code change.
> I'm not as experienced as many on this list with high voltage, high
> amp arrays (we do off grid primarily) but if the DCGFI just unbonds
> DC when it trips, wouldn't this be another argument for unbonded
> arrays in the first place, and just skip the DCGFI all together?
> ALso, as I think many others are alluding to, if there is a fault and
> the DCGFI does its job, there is still a lot of energized wiring
> running from the array to the DCGFI that is possibly  dangerous.
> Should there be a requirement for the DCGFI to be located outside,
> near the array?
> I'm sure this is a reasonably important issue, but meanwhile, the NEC
> is ignoring other much more dangerous issues such as identifying DC
> polarity, and preventing battery short circuits.
>
> ray at solarray.com
>

> On Mar 4, 2008, at 6:19 PM, John Berdner wrote:
>

> > Mark/Mark/Wrenches:
> >
> > I don't really have anything to add to the original question but
> > perhaps some background would help frame the issue - or at least muddy
> > the water further ;^)
> >
> > The issue of a low impedance fault in the grounded PV conductor is an
> > interesting one.
> > It is hard to detect this type of fault since a very low impedance
> > fault looks remarkably like an intact fuse or closed breaker
> > between the
> > grounded conductor and ground.
> > During the development of UL 1741 we had some spirited discussions on
> > the topic and it is clear that the intent of the GFDI requirement (per
> > NEC and UL1741) was to cover all types of ground faults including
> > those
> > in the grounded conductor.  Not all implementations of GFDI circuits I
> > have seen will do this and, because the NEC or 1741 are not
> > explicit on
> > this point these devices continue to be Listed.  I am not saying
> > anyone
> > is wrong or right here only that the Standards do not explicitly
> > address
> > the issue.
> >
> > If we look for guidance it is sometime useful to go back to the
> > original purpose of the GFDI.   The GFDI is there to eliminate the
> > possibility of ground fault currents flowing in "unintended
> > conductors".
> >   The idea is that if you have a ground fault you will see currents
> > flowing in support structures, conduits, hangers, and all kinds of
> > metal
> > bits that might be connected between the fault and ground.
> > Conduits for
> > example are supposed to carry the fault current long enough to open
> > the
> > over current device feeding the circuit.  This is part of the
> > reason we
> > use conduit, it is normal, and the fault current is usually only very
> > short term.

> [...]

boB Gudgel K7IQ
MidNite/Magnum  Solar/Energy
Washington AC