Misleading fault indications [RE-wrenches]

Dan Rice danrice at scinternet.net
Tue Mar 4 20:55:02 PST 2008

William, John, and all,

I've been silent on this issue for years, as have others I'm sure, and I'm
glad to see it coming to light. The method of providing ground fault
protection of PV arrays by ungrounding the grounded conductor is an anomoly
in the NEC, as best I can tell. Discussions I've had with John Wiles suggest
that this approach has been used  because it's the most cost-effective
approach to accomplishing the task at hand, which is to reduce the
possibility of a PV ground fault leading to a fire. But it does beg
questions that William has raised about alternative approaches. Trouble is,
it may be a touchy issue with respect to the rest of Article 250. I'm not
sure how many inspectors really understand and appreciate PV GFP and the
implications for a "grounded" PV array, and I'm not sure that the PV
industry wants to invite further scrutiny on the matter.

Perhaps John Berdner can speak to some other possible GFP scenarios, based
on his depth in this industry. I know that several different approaches were
proposed and abandoned due to the expense of implementing them. I believe
that the "net current difference" approach used in GFDI's was one such.
Placing a fuse or a breaker in place of a main bonding jumper allows the
array to be called "grounded" for sake of argument and code, while providing
a low-cost approach to reducing the possibility of arcing and starting a
fire in the event of a ground fault. The issue is, without ungrounding the
array, how do you deal with the arcing potential of a fault to ground? How
do you "shut off the array" to interrupt this fault to ground? GFP does
nothing about line-to-line faults, and the potential hazards they pose, but
they're less likely that a ground fault. Ungrounding the grounded conductor
seems like the simplest approach. The question is what's the best method to
do this.

One irony I've seen in this is the insistence on having a DC grounding
electrode conductor run to the inverter because the DC side of the system is
a "separately derived system." Given that the grounded conductor on the DC
side is only nominally grounded, I do not understand the pressing need for
the GEC -the grounded DC conductor is allowed to become ungrounded under a
fault condition, and should NEVER be treated as a "grounded" conductor for
safety reasons. Requiring the DC GEC is an onerous burden in some
installations. I'd be interested in John's thoughts on its functional
utility.

William, I've considered the exact problem you raised in your inverter
internal ground fault scenario. I've thought that a GFP device that's able
to sense current flowing in the main bonding jumper (like the Outback GFP)
and open both array positive AND array negative, isolating the array
negative from the grounded negative in the rest of the system, would be
fairly straightforward to produce. It would be similar to the Outback GFP,
except the 1 amp sensing-tripping pole would not open -just sense the
current and trip the other two poles open. This device WOULD still trip in
the inverter fault scenario you've put forward (which would unground the
array admittedly), but since negative would remain bonded to ground, the
inverter breaker would also trip, indicating the cause of the ground
fault -a better result, I think. And with the present GFP devices, the array
becomes ungrounded with any ground fault anyway, so no greater danger is
created by this approach. At least the battery side of the system would be
unambiguously grounded.

My $1.05

Dan Rice
Abundant Sun, LLC.