Misleading fault indications [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Fri Feb 29 19:47:36 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

Mark and Christopher:

Thanks for looking at this.  My concerns are:

1. The fault is in the inverter yet the PV breaker trips.  This does not
seem right.
2. There is a fault in the inverter yet the inverter still has power after
the fault.  This also troubles me.
3. The fault is incorrectly indicated as a fault in the PV charging system,
making it difficult to troubleshoot.
4.  Any accidental connection between the ground and neutral busses will
draw a 175 amp arc.
5. The above would not occur if the installer had not removed the
neutral-ground bond.  In all North American power systems, the "star"
grounding system is an essential element of the safety of these
systems.  The two references below establish the necessity for maintaining
the bonding jumper in these systems.  Is it wise to remove this jumper in a
PV wiring system?

The ground fault systems developed to satisfy section 690 requirements may
create other lesser known problems, like those cited above.

I would point out that the GFCI receptacle in your bathroom works on an
entirely different principle that does not require that the main bonding
jumper be removed from the service panel.  Furthermore, the garden variety
GFCI receptacle is sensitive enough to protect against fatal fault currents
while the 0.5 amp that it takes to trip an Outback breaker is fatal.  I
wonder if the principle used for ground fault detection in solar electric
systems may need a little more thought and research?

This situation is not the most dangerous scenario we face in the industry,
but it is one in which I have  strong curiosity and one which may have
broader implications as PV systems become more commonplace.

Thanks again for your thoughts on the subject.

William Miller

Citations:

250.28 Main Bonding Jumper.
For a grounded system, an unspliced main bonding jumper shall be used to
connect the equipment grounding conductor(s) and the service-disconnect
enclosure to the grounded conductor of the system within the enclosure for
each service disconnect.

250.4 (4) Path for Fault Current. Electrical equipment, wiring, and other
electrically conductive material likely to become energized shall be
installed in a manner that creates a permanent, low-impedance circuit from
any point on the wiring system to the electrical supply source to
facilitate the operation of overcurrent devices should a second fault occur
on the wiring system. The earth shall not be used as the sole equipment
grounding conductor or effective fault-current path.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com
This email was sent to: michael.welch at re-wrenches.org