Batteryless inverter recommendation [RE-wrenches]

Aaron Wellendorf Aaron at stellarenergy.com
Wed Feb 27 09:32:30 PST 2008

I have a demo system at the house I am renting. It has two Sunny Island
4248, two SB6000, one PVP5200, one FR5100, and two XT GT3.8. Each PV
inverter has identical arrays of 36 Sharp 175 modules, except the GT3.8
have 18 each. The inverters and batteries are in an inverter shed. The
modules are ground mounted on a hillside about 100ft away.
Unfortunately, the system does not have third party meters on each
inverter.

My observations:
1. Both Sunny Islands have failed and been replaced under warranty.
2. The original PVP5200 sounded like an old mechanical alarm clock on
steroids. I could hear it ticking 100ft away. I had it replaced under
warranty and it is much quieter, though it still is obnoxious up close.
3. The FR5100 fan is noticeable because it varies its speed frequently,
but is not too obnoxious.
4. The SB6000's have worked fine, but also make some noise.
5. The GT3.8's are almost silent and their integrated meters always show
more power output.

Unfortunately, I have not yet taken the time to verify the power outputs
independently because the whole system generates more power than my
all-electric house consumes, and I'm mostly working during daylight
hours.

At this point, I would cast my vote for the silent XT GT's.

Aaron Wellendorf

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com