Solar Carports [RE-wrenches]

Jerry Caldwell solarcowboy at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 10:39:37 PST 2008

Hi Peter,

We've done lots of parking lot shade structures.  It's not as easy to standardize as you might think.  The easiest way to do your first one might be to subcontract a carport builder who has their own S.E. on staff and can provide all of the permitting documentation necessary for the structure.  That way all you have to do is figure out how to attach your array, conduit & boxes, and trench to your inverter or tie-in location.  Also, make sure you check for existing underground utilities before you start trenching and drilling.

There was one company at the Long Beach solar conference who said they specialized in solar carports, but I don't remember their name.  I've never heard of solar carport kits, but even if there was you could still have to do a lot of site specific work to adapt it to your location.

Cheers,

Jerry Caldwell
SunPower Systems