trojan battery cycle [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Wed Feb 13 10:20:05 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

Yes, we have had T105s consistently out perform L16s. Its not exact
science, I have seen 10 + years on occasion with L16s, but 4 to 5
years is normal. T105s are going 6 to 7 years.  Seems systems with
larger banks are lasting longer with good maintenance. I've got one
battery heavy system (12 T105s with only 300 watt array) that is
still good after 10 years.
I'm primarily basing my statements on the cycle life data from
Trojan. The T105 has more cycles in controlled tests. My old info
from Trojan shows 900 cycles at 80% DOD for the T105 compared to only
700 for the L16.

Ray

On Feb 13, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Nick Houser wrote:

> Ray---Are you saying that under the same conditions of use and
> maintenence, the T105's have a longer cycle life than L16's? That's
> not
> my experience. The chart of DOD % vs cycle life that Todd provided is
> just about exactly what we have found for ALL liquid acid battery
> types.
>  Obviously, a larger battery bank will have a shallower DOD on
> average,
> and thus last for many more cycles than a smaller one that is
> regularly
> being discharged more deeply. That's why I almost always specify the
> biggest forklift type  (Davidson/Yuasa or Surrettes) that I can
> get, in
> order to avoid parallel strings and reduce the average DOD. This
> ensures
> longer life times, I'm sure. 20 years is not uncommon, especially
> if the
> system also
> includes a reasonably sized solar component, to help insure
> that the batteris get fully charged occaisionaly (sometimes
> only when the customer is not at home.) Nick In BC
> R. Walters wrote:
>>

>> Don't forget to compare the L16 to the good old t105 why  you're at
>> it. We quit selling the L16s because they don't have the cycle life
>> that a regular golf cart battery does. We jump to the HUPs.
>>
>> Ray Walters
>>

>> On Feb 12, 2008, at 8:49 PM, Jay Peltz, Peltz Power wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Todd,
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> jay

>>> - - - -
>>> Hosted by Home Power magazine
>>>
>>> To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com
>>>
>>> Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-
>>> wrenches/read
>>>
>>> List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/
>>> wrenches/etiquette.php
>>>
>>> Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>>>
>>> Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com
>>>

>> R. Walters
>> Solarray.com
>> NABCEP # 04170442
>>

>> --
>>

> I may look idle, but on a celular level I'm really quite busy.
>

> - - - -
> Hosted by Home Power magazine

> Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-
> wrenches/read