Calculating string amperages [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Sat Feb 9 01:23:06 PST 2008

Ray,

I don't think my postings are working anymore, so I haven't been responding
on this and other issues. John does a good job of explaining the issues.
I've never heard that charge controllers are only one-way devices so that
would need to be confirmed by each manufacturer. Be careful about making
broad assumptions about products just because other products (i.e. certain
inverters) have specific features (backfeed protection).

Your calculation of overcurrent size left out a very important point that
John tried to make. The total current to the module is the sum of the 15-amp
breaker plus the 6.375 amps from the paralleled string. This means the
module is exposed to 21.375 amps (decimal places are silly) which exceeds
the 15-amp rating of the module.

Also, the first 1.25 multiplier from 690.8(A) is not for cloud edge
enhancement. Instead it is a general code fudge factor to adjust the rating
of the module for certain locations (high altitude) and times of the year
(October) when the irradiance can sustain at 1200 W/m2 or more for hours.
I've seen cloud edge enhancement last for 15 minutes in very rare instances,
but not for hours--and edge enhancement can exceed 140%-plus you can have
snow reflection on top of that.

As it turns out, nearly all fuses and circuit breakers we use in PV systems
are rated 100% continuous duty, so the second 1.25 multiplier from 690.8(B)
is not absolutely required. However, the fuse and breaker manufacturers
still recommend only running their overcurrent protection at 75% of
rating--read the design guides from Littlefuse and Bussmann for
confirmation. In the field we have historically had lots of problems with
fuses blowing when only sized at 1.25xIsc. These fatigue failures are due to
high current and high ambient temperature (and fuse holder temperature).

You are obviously a very conscientious and intelligent installer, and I
don't want to come across too strongly on this issue, but I don't want you
to mislead yourself into a design concept that does not comply with the NEC
or with good practice. I agree that is sucks to have to put a breaker on
every pair of 72-cell modules, that is life and it ain't fair.

Bill.