Sanyo panel & CControllers [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Feb 4 16:44:53 PST 2008

We have looked at this but I fear what John Wiles would end up saying -
if its part of the controller then when the breaker is opened or the GFP
trips then the PV voltage would exceed the controller's UL voltage
rating.... sort of a catch 22.  There also might be failure mode
concerns during the UL listing process which can get very expensive.

Its surprising how many watts a PV array can produce even at a voltage
just below the open circuit level - a voltage clamp would need to
dissipate 500 watts or so of power to pull down the PV array voltage 15
volts on most 3kw PV arrays (depends on the exact panels and
temperatures involved).  If the battery was full then the clamp would
need to do this continuously...

I have built a number of prototype voltage clamps - including one I have
been running for over 2 years now on my Harris Hydro system - but no
clear solution was determined to be "all-purpose".

Keep also in mind that going above 150VDC requires higher voltage rated
breakers and GFPs as well - which get more expensive again.

We are still working on a solution...

Christopher

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.