urban windpower [RE-wrenches]

Dan Fink danbob at otherpower.com
Sat Feb 2 14:39:40 PST 2008

Hello Joel.

Under #1 below, I would emphasize the fact that rooftop mounting (as in
mounting the turbine *lower than* 30 feet above anything within 300 feet
in any direction) is the reason (in the first place!) that wind speeds
measure so dismally in urban areas. Also see Hugh Piggott's detailed
urban wind power debunking article:
http://scoraigwind.com/citywinds/index.htm

Under #2 below, I would mention that mounting a turbine too low also
causes undue turbulence stresses and maintenance problems on the machine
that could be avoided if mounted up at a proper height in smooth winds.

And, in general, I would stress the point that there are *no* wind
turbine designs (whether HAWT, VAWT, etc.) that can come even close to
their manufacturer's stated output ratings when mounted at rooftop level
in an urban wind regime. There's lots of hype about that out there with
VAWT designs on rooftops, but absolutely zero real numbers so far.

A 'real number' for any wind turbine means === kwh per day, month and
year. And also a machine that does not break down yearly.

DAN FINK
http://www.otherpower.com/

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php