Down-sizing battery systems [RE-wrenches]

Walt Ratterman wratterman at SunEnergyPower.com
Sat Jan 26 20:15:00 PST 2008

Jeff:

I don't do on-grid systems, but primarily off grid systems in developing
world applications.

I try to make all systems hybrid - with a generator backup.  On the
smaller systems, where the generator might be portable (and might not be
there when needed) we generally design for 2 days autonomy.

On larger off-grid systems - 3 kw and up, we go for 1 to 1.5 days.  The
battery banks get pretty big.

Besides - one thing that I think was missed when the fad was to go for 4
and 5 days of autonomy, was that without generators, the PV systems were
still sized for one days' worth of watthours.  This means by definition
that the batteries simply could never get fully charged after the first
couple of cloudy days, and they had shorter lives as a result.  When we
do have longer autonomies (like for vaccine refrigerators) we size the
solar array to charge the batteries fully in one day - which means
generally oversized solar arrays most of the time (but happier doctors
and patients....)

Thanks,

Walt Ratterman