Module wiring safety [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 22 08:45:42 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

There are very few high voltage (Class II) PV systems in the U.S.

Grid-connected PV is part of the grid distribution system. Unless the PV
system is behind a fence, many, if not most, grid-connected PV systems feed
back to the grid through wire in conduit and then to overhead or underground
wire not in conduit. Solar module interconnect wiring and quick-connects
that are neatly tied almost always pass inspection in southern California.
Roof-mounted homeruns and other accessible wiring are another story. Some
inspectors in So-Cal allow PVC conduit. Some require EMT. Some want threaded
pipe. An inspector can judge any part of a PV system an "attractive
nuisance" (real estate term describing a condition that can attract and
injure children).

This discussion is interesting and a chance to complain about PV module
manufacturers' failure to give U.S. customers what they want (j-boxes).
However, I am concerned that the end result will be more Code requirements
and added cost. In the meantime, Europeans are installing gigawatts of PV up
to 1,000 volts DC running through double-insulated wire with no conduit
while the U.S. PV industry perpetuates "there aught to be a law" mentality.
Brothers and sisters, there's a world of difference between more laws and
more freedom.

Joel Davidson