no safe modules for ground-mounted arrays[RE-wrenches]

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Fri Jan 18 12:54:54 PST 2008

Jeff,

I think your position is clear and I agree with it.  The most beneficial, cost effective response to 690.31 (A) would be for module manufactures to offer J-Box modules for effected installations.

One of the good things about this Code revison is we no longer have to go to the manufactures and ourselves talking about how dangerous pigtail installations are.  This only inflames resistance to PV in general.

We can now simply go to them and say, we need J-Box modules in order to comply with the Code.

MPF

Yes, we could spend several thousand dollars more on each ground mount installation by digging and pouring multiple metal fence post footings, putting up the chain link fence, installing padlocks, and buying warning signage, since we all know fences will always keep curious kids out and makes yard mowing that much easier.

However, all we are asking for is somebody, anybody, to offer a large module with the option of a J-box instead of pig-tails. This is the low tech solution (and cheap!) to solve this problem.  Afterall, we are not asking for a new product as  almost everyone made modules this way for years.

I realize we each have different market areas and what is an issue for one installer may not be an issue for others, but if you want me to stand by you when you have your next roof mount issue, you need to stand by us when we have an issue that impacts our work.

I repeat, we need some type of common voice that can speak for all installers when we have these issues with equipment manufacturers and code officials.

Jeff Yago

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com