snow load on modules [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater, Village Power Design jeffc at villagepower.com
Fri Jan 18 12:00:55 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

Hi Jonathan,

First talk to Chris Worcester at SolarWindWorks in Truckee
(chris at solarwindworks.com).  He deals with this all the time.  Better
yet consider giving him the job - he knows the building dept and is
local!

Secondly the snow load rating of most modules is assuming 2 rails I
believe.  You can go 3 rails or even 4.    Good luck getting the
manufacturers to rate them but you might sleep better at night.  That
might cover the point load issues as well.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Jeff

>We are designing an on-gird system for a customer in Truckee, CA. The
>building dept there requires roofs to withstand a 200 psf snow load.
>While it snows quite a bit there. I can't imagine snow weighing quite
>that much, especially in the very cold climate where the snow is
>pretty light and dry. Even with a 12:12 roof pitch, seems like that
>means the modules have to withstand a 140 psf load. The actual pitch
>is even less, so the problem gets even worse. The highest rating I've
>found is from BP, and theirs is 115 psf. Anyone know of modules rated
>higher, or should I not be concerned unless the bldg dept brings it up?
>
>Jonathan Hill, solar applications engineer
>
>Sierra Solar Systems
>563C Idaho Maryland Road
>Grass Valley, CA 95945
>Celebrating our 28th year in solar!
>tech info and foreign orders:  (530) 273-6754
>order line: (888) ON-SOLAR (US only)   FAX:  (530) 273-1760
>e-mail:  <mailto:solarjon at sierrasolar.com>
>world wide web:  <http://www.sierrasolar.com>
>--
>

>- - - -
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & how to change your email address:
>www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com
NABCEP (tm) Certified Solar PV Installer

Voice: 413-259-3776
Fax: 413-825-0703
65 Schoolhouse Rd
Amherst, MA 01002