[RE-wrenches] seaside installation

a karnitz blueskiessolar at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 24 10:04:38 PST 2008

Hi Kirk,

On all of my seaside installs I make sure to use stailnless hardware, annodized aluminum (most racking is, but not all), dielectric grease on all comm connections (and reapplied every few years), anti corrosion (nickle grease) on all copper to alum connections and most importantly...read the manual that comes with the module!!!  I heard a story of late about a fellow local installer that got a job we both bid on.  I spec'd Evergreen 190's, he spec'd japaneese brand X.  brand x was installed, the curious ex-contractor customer read brand x's module manual and found that the modules were not warrantied if installed w/i 500 meters of a salt water body.  the site was about 2-300 meters from the pacific ocean.  poor installer had to remove 5+ kW of brand x and reinstall Evergreen 190's, aparrently one of the only (according to the customer) mfgs to cover "seaside" installs.

and oh yeah, never turn your back on the ocean.

Andy Karnitz
NABCEP Certified PV Installer
Blue Skies Solar
Renewable Energy Solutions