[RE-wrenches] CFL lighting and the mercury hazard.

Ian Woofenden ian.woofenden at homepower.com
Tue Dec 9 16:31:26 PST 2008

Hi Joel,

(Michael, should this go to RE-Bitching or something?)

I wonder if you are encouraging your clients to use incandescents.

CFLs are not perfect, but they are a big step forward.

And there is certainly a wide variety of quality.
Saying that CFLs are poor quality is like saying
"cars are poor quality" -- ignoring the
difference between a Hyundai and a Tesla (or
something).

Also, light quality is very subjective. Some
people like light on the 2700 Kelvin end of the
range ("warm" yellow) and others on the 6000
Kelvin end ("cool" white).

Personally, I think the fact that the brighten up
slowly is a wonderful feature. I'm glad the days
of delay and blink are pretty much gone though.

If we are not promoting (good quality) CFLs (with
wattage and color temperature appropriate to the
client's situation and taste), we are promoting 3
to 4 times the energy use and PV system size. Hmm.

Best,

Ian

--
Ian Woofenden <ian.woofenden at homepower.com>, Senior Editor, Home Power magazine
Ashland, OR 97520 USA  800-707-6585 (US),