[RE-wrenches] building permits for PV

Kirpal Khalsa solarworks at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 07:20:19 PST 2008

Hi Dana......we are also required to pull building/structural permits for
our flush roof mount PV systems.....typically they require an engineer to
sign off on our installation technique and also on the capability of the
trusses or the rafters to handle that loads and installation
technique....they don't come and inspect until the system is complete so
long as they approve our plan up front.....that would be a real hassle if
they made us stop between racking and panel installing for an
inspection.....i can see the day where they move to that though........for
pole mounted or ground mounted installs no building/structural permit has
been required up until now......
cheers,
Kirpal
Renewable Energy Systems
NABCEP Certified PV Installer

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Dana Brandt <dana at ecotechenergy.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Until recently, we've only been required to have an electrical permit for
> flush-mounted PV systems. The city has now decided to require building
> permits for all PV systems and wants to come out and inspect our L-feet
> attachments and rails before the modules can go up. This seems crazy to me.
> What are other jurisdictions requiring? I'd love some information I can take
> to the city showing that other jurisdictions aren't requiring this type of
> process.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Dana
>
> --