[RE-wrenches] load side taps and NEC 240.21

Jerry Caldwell solarcowboy at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 15:43:07 PST 2008

Wreches,

I have a system where we are tapping onto the bus bars of a 1200 amp panel fed by a 1200 amp main breaker.  The easy place to tap onto the bus bars is the load side of the breaker using the existing bolts.

The inverter and utility fused disco are about 200 ft away, and the tap conductors travel about15ft in EMT conduit before leaving the building.  After that the circuit is outdoors.  NEC 240.21(B)5 allows taps of unlimited length for conductors located outside of a building, except at the point of load (in this case supply) termination.

Can 20ft of conductor inside the building be covered by being "at the point of load termination", or do I have to comply with NEC 240.21(B)2 and have an OCPD within 25'?

The construction foreman for this project is buddies with the inspector, so getting a signed permit won't be a problem but I want this to be a code compliant system.  Can anyone lend some insight to the spirit of 240.21(B)2 and 5?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but searching didn't yield any results.

Best,
Jerry Caldwell
Recurrent Energy