[RE-wrenches] More on AC coupling - SI and SB

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Wed Nov 26 16:30:39 PST 2008

Geoff,

SMA suggests using an OutBack Autoformer. Yes, I know it sounds weird to
suggest using a competitors product, but this is not the only weirdness
when using the 60 Hz SI system! They /also /suggest using the Flexware
DC breaker box, as there is really nothing they make that accomplishes
the same thing, at such a low cost. Low is subjective, I suppose.

I asked a pair of the SMA engineers from Germany about the possibility
of coming out with a 240 60 Hz version (pleaded is more like it) to help
the long suffering American AE sector, and the answer was just what has
been suggested by our Scottish bretheren: If the market is large enough
to warrant the UL listing procedure, and if the market will bear a
slightly higher price tag, they will do it. I would recommned that each
and every one of us that would like to have the option of somehting as
great as this system has to offer, PLEASE email, phone and write to SMA
Amerika (ho ho ho) to express your wishes. It can't hurt!

Matt T