[RE-wrenches] More on AC coupling

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Tue Nov 25 18:21:25 PST 2008

I am curious as to why OutBacks were used for this system instead of
using SunnyIslands and SunnyBoys? From what I can tell about the SI
system, virtually no aspect of battery charging, auto gen-start/stop,
and interactive inverter control has been overlooked - or remains to be
engineered in the field by the installer. Because SunnyIslands have the
ability to "talk" to Sunny (or Windy)Boys, excess energy is taken care
of by "integrated load shedding" - no need for multiple relays, dumpoads
and voltage sensors. :-) The only limitation to these systems (and only
in 60 Hz land) is a maximum of 20 kW single, and 15 kW three phase per
autonomous load. I really like the flexibility of being able to connect
all AC inputs on the same line, as well as having the option to do
direct battery charging from a DC source (as long as you use a shunt to
measure current).

I know this doesn't answer your questions, but for similar applications
in the future it would be good to take a close look at the SunnyIsland
system. They're cool.

Matt T