[RE-wrenches] Integrating with a whole house generator

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Tue Nov 25 08:42:14 PST 2008

Hi William,

That is the way to do it.  The inverter controls the generator
automatically, based on battery voltage and / or current.  The
generator can be started manually whenever desired.  The inverter
(critical) loads will also be fed by the gen-set through the internal
transfer switch on the inverter, while batteries are being charged.

Drake

At 09:46 PM 11/24/2008, you wrote:
>Friends:
>
>I am bidding an installation in which the customer owns a whole
>house generator.  The generator is 30 KVA and we will be installing
>a 4.5 or 6.0 KVA XW system.  Obviously, the inverter will not power
>the entire house.  If we segregate the non-critical loads and
>connect them to a grid-fed panel, the generator will not power
>them.  If we let the generator run every time there is an outage,
>this negates the need for a inverter system. What to do?
>
>The transfer switch sends a two wire start signal to the generator
>upon a grid outage.  After the transfer switch senses generator
>voltage, it effects a transfer.
>
>My brainstorm is to intercept that two wire start signal.  I will
>connect it instead to the XW inverter.  We will segregate the loads,
>feeding the critical loads from the XW and the Non-critical loads
>from the output of the transfer switch.  In the case of a grid
>outage, the critical loads will receive uninterrupted power.  The
>Non-critical loads will not have power unless the generator is
>started by the XW.  Once the XW (or the home owner) starts the
>generator, the transfer will occur.  We will put a control panel in
>the house so the home-owner can start the generator if the
>No-critical loads are needed.
>
>This seems clever to me, but I am biased.  Am I missing something???
>

>William Miller

>List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
>Options & settings:

>List rules & etiquette: