[RE-wrenches] box fill calcs

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Fri Nov 21 09:37:18 PST 2008

At 05:40 AM 11/21/2008, you wrote:
>I brought this subject up in class. Chuck says he doesn't think
>there's anything in the code about it. the closest thing I could
>come up with was clamps -- so you'd relate it to the largest
>conductor in the box. But I'm a baby too. i like over sized boxes. db

The Code doesn't cover every possible aspect.  The size of the
splicing devices does not seem to be covered.  You could have a
minimum sized junction box, and connect the wires with big blue wire
nuts and have trouble getting it all in.

I'm also a believer in oversized boxes.  The code minimum size box is
the smallest box that everything can be stuffed into.  Labor saved
will usually be more than money spent on a bit more comfortable fit.

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric
OH License 44810
CO License 3773