[RE-wrenches] Trouble Shooting Bad Diode

Chris @ the Oasis info at OasisMontana.com
Wed Nov 12 19:59:36 PST 2008

Hello Kirpal:

What is the relative age of these modules?  For starters....  Just curious.

Chris Daum
Oasis Montana Inc.
406-777-4309 local line
406-777-0830 fax

  _____

From: re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org
[mailto:re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org] On Behalf Of Kirpal
Khalsa
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:33 PM
To: RE-wrenches
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Trouble Shooting Bad Diode

Bill and all.......So we were at the site today and these were our findings:
We covered each solar panel with cardboard 1 at a time.....we continued to
see the same lower voltage on string #2.  String #1 had an expected Voc.
String 1 had a Voc of 368, String 2 had Voc of 312.
We decided to disconnect the entire string.  Luckily the interconnects were
accessible without physically removing the modules.......I love array's that
are only 2 rows deep with service aisles all around.....
The system was 2 strings of 9 BP SX170's connected to a PVP2800XV.
Module nameplate Voc was 44V.  Cell temp of the modules at time of
measurement was roughly 85-90 degrees F.
all modules were in the 40.1-8 range....except module # 3 from the positive
homerun side was 38.8V, module 6 was 36.6V and module 8 was 10V.
We had no trouble determining that module # 8 was defective......In these
modules I believe that the entire 72 cells are in a series.string...(am i
right?roughly .5+V per cell.).
Covering 1 module at a time did not give us any indication as to which panel
was defective.  The Voc with 1 module covered ranged from a low of 299VV to
a high of 304V. This did not make sense to me as to reducing the string Voc
from 312 to 304 by covering 1 module.........

Anyhow........the 2 modules that had reduced voltages......1 with ~38V and 1
with ~36V......would you consider those defective?  Worthy of trying to get
BP to warranty those?
We will be filing a warranty claim on the single panel that is obviously
defective.......
Thanks for your advice and input.....
Cheers,

Kirpal Khalsa