[RE-wrenches] Pt valves as overheat control

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Tue Nov 11 11:09:34 PST 2008

Hey Roy,

T&P valves leak after X amount of time in direct proportion to the
mineral content of your water supply. Minerals are deposited on the seat
surfaces and prevent complete closure. My hunch is that installations in
areas with very low mineral saturation of the water source will have
much longer periods of time between leaks/seeps/dribbles and oozing.
Maybe you can fix these valves by immersing them in a vinegar bath for a
day or so instead of replacing them?? O course you would have to have
the valve open for this to work, so maybe the vinegar would have to be
boiling!

Matt