[RE-wrenches] Request for Enphase inverter comments

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Fri Oct 24 18:27:42 PDT 2008

I was disappointed by the Enphase warranty and service support program.

I would expect something better than the industry standard 10 year warranty
for a product like this.  I would take a really strong warranty and service
support agreement out to at least year 15 to inspire confidence in  the
product.

The customer could be sucking wind after years 13 or 15.  The cost of going
out and replacing failed inverters piece meal as they go thru the failure
bell curve is really unsupportable.  We may all be off the hook for CSI
warranties but it is real trouble for the customer who has an array with a
25 year service life.

If Enphase really believes that these inverters will be running fine out at
year 20, they should indicate that thru the warranty.  If not, folks should
do some real careful life-cycle cost accounting before they go out and start
selling these things.

Hey, if you are delivering a system with a 10 year design life, fine.  But
if you are working on 25 year designs like I am, then the Enphase won't cut
it without much stronger commitment to long-term performance from the
vendor.

:-)

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems