[RE-wrenches] Actual losses from dissimilar orientationsonsingle inverter

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Sun Sep 21 09:56:58 PDT 2008

The link doesn't work Doug. If it is the same article that they published
about 2.5 years ago, I was unimpressed (actually the one I read was not long
on field measurements, so we may be talking about two different articles).

What is important to think about is the possible reason for the white paper:
the Sharp JH-3600 inverter was being discontinued and there were no other
commercially available inverters with multiple independent inputs (the only
sure way to deal with sub-arrays with different orientations, different
module numbers, etc.).

Intuition tells us that two sub-arrays differing in 3 degrees of tilt and 12
degrees of azimuth probably won't cause a problem, as long as the two
sub-arrays are other identical (number and type of PV modules). Twice that,
I couldn't say. I should think that a "worst case" calculation could be made
fairly easily, but that is not what we are looking for.

I am sure the problem can be simulated using an appropriate circuit
simulator and model for the PV modules. Is there a college-level course out
there whose teacher would be willing to make this an assignment/project?

Sky, are the results of your studies written up in a way that you could
share them with the rest of us? I for one would gladly read anything you
could send my way, off line.

 - Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com