[RE-wrenches] generator-pump

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Sep 18 10:29:53 PDT 2008

Hello Wrenches,

I've noticed, over the years, that generators will start pumps that
have a higher surge rating than the generator output.   What I'm
wondering is what the mechanics of this is.  Will the pumps just
start fine even if the instantaneous draw of the windings is not
met?   Even though the windings will draw a very high amperage, if
available, is it ok if this momentary surge current is not
available?  Do the generators provide a momentary surge?  Why do the
pumps start with no problem, even though the numbers don't work out?

Thanks

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric
OH License 44810