[RE-wrenches] Stanchions for Comp Shingle Roofs

North Texas Renewable Energy Inc ntrei at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 15 10:19:48 PDT 2008

Wrenches,
I have always used Peters #2 process. The reason being, in hot climates, asphalt shingles become very soft and susceptible to damage. We've all walked across one on a sunny >90f day. Anything mounted against one or more layers of 3 tab, and lagged firmly into a rafter, will compress the softened asphalt.
So in the future, the flange that's flat against the shingles, is not as tight against the shingles as it would be if tourqued directly to the decking. And over the years, the minute movements of the stanchion and flange, from thermal stress, wood shrinkage, wild lift or load, will further compress the shingles under the increasingly loose fitting flange.
Also, if a future roof pulloff & replacement is necessary, the entire array must be removed, including the standoffs. So when the new shingles are in place, all the mounting holes have disappeared. A complete array install is in order.
It is indeed a little more work to mount directly to the decking but that's what sealant is for. I get barely 4 standoffs per tube. It's cheap insurance in my book.
I also encourage every homeowner, during site surveys, to insist of others offering bids that flashing be used rather than angle aluminum brackets.
Jim Duncan
North Texas Renewable Energy Inc
4029 Aragon Drive
Fort Worth, Texas 76133