[RE-wrenches] trouble shooting system with Sun Tie

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Thu Sep 11 16:34:19 PDT 2008

Dana:

The failure mode of the original ST inverters were a failure in the MPPT
algorithm.  The inverter would sweep the impedance too high until the
voltage would collapse.  The inverter would then take several minutes until
it allowed the PV voltage to rise again.  This would repeat throughout the
day resulting in a significant decrease in overall output.  You could
witness this over any given half hour period.

Regarding arrays in dissimilar orientation:  The loss due to differing
orientations should be about 1%, IF all modules in each string are facing
the same direction.  This is because the different IV curves are of a
similar shape when superimposed on each other.  The ST inverter might be
less able to average these curves and more susceptible to collapse.

Did you check the array fuses?

William Miller