[RE-wrenches] offgrid system question

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 14:29:56 PDT 2008

I use for a short cut 1 AC ton is 1 HP mechanical or 1kW electrical.

So If I have a 3 ton heat pump I figure the compressor is about a 1 horse power motor and about 1 kW running load.  If that is 240 volts that is about 4 0r 5 amps. Because I have had some starting problems, I say that the running amps times 10 are the start amps, so this unit should have inverter capable of starting 40 amps Surge.    If the SEER is higher than 12 it will start comiing down, but I do not know for inverter sizing

If you are doing and energy anaylsis you would want better numbers from your AC manufacturer.

The 9000 watts for 2.5 tons is to high.
Darryl