[RE-wrenches] offgrid system question

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Fri Aug 22 08:29:25 PDT 2008

There are two figures of merit that can be used to make the conversion. The
simplist is EER.

First, how many "tons" the AC is rated at? Multiply that number by 12,000
BTU/hr per ton, to get the number of BTU/hr the AC system can pump out of
the house.

Second, EER is the ration of the BTU/hr to electrical power the AC consumes.
Divide the BTU/hr by EER and you get the power consumption.

There is a second figure of merit called SEER, it is similar to EER but
takes a seasonal average. All ACs have a SEER rating.

Example: 3 ton AC rated at a SEER of 10. 3 ton equals 36,000 BTU/hr and
consumes 3.6 kW (15 A at 240 VAC). If you run the AC for four hours a day,
the energy consumed is14.4 kWh.

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com